Chilli is perfect for two occasions:
1. On a cold day to warm your belly.
2. When you have a crowd of friends coming over to watch a sports game!
I usually make two types of chilli to ensure everyone is happy. One with ground meat for the meat lovers and one that is vegetarian for the people who prefer to eat veggie based meals like me.
-11/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 1 Large Vidalia Onion – Diced ( About 2 cups)
– 6-8 Cloves of Garlic Chopped
– 1 Large Red Pepper Diced
– 3-4 Stalks of Celery Chopped ( About 1 cup)
– 2 Fresh Jalapeño Peppers – Chopped finely and seeded
– 2 (540ml ) Cans of Flavoured Diced Tomatoes with their juices
– 6 Tbsp Tomato Paste
– 5 Tbsp of Chilli Powder
– 1 Tbsp Cumin
– 1 Tsp of Basil
– 1 Tsp of Thyme
– 1/2 Tsp of Oregano
-1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Kosher salt
-cayenne pepper and hot sauce optional also can add a bit of brown sugar ( optional)
– Splash of good quality Balsamic Vinegar
– 2 Packets of chicken bouillon or vegetable bullion with 3/4 cup of water or 1 cup of chicken broth.
-1- 2 Cans of Beans – Your choice (I use kidney, chickpea, or six bean medley)
– Note: You can always add whatever additional vegetables you may like. . I like to add a couple carrots or different color peppers or even corn tastes great in it.
I like to make it in my creuset pot as it only takes 20 minutes. Directions below
- In a large pot saute onion garlic in a bit of oil over medium heat until soft and translucent. Season with some salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the jalapeños, celery, and peppers. Saute for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add in the tomatoes and their juices and tomato paste and remaining spices and chicken bouillon . Stir to combine.
- Drain and rinse your beans then add to the mixture. Simmer uncovered for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add your hot flakes or hot sauce to your liking. Adjust seasoning to your taste add the balsamic vinegar at the end.
- Once done, serve into bowls and top with shredded cheese, jalapeños, and sour cream. For a non dairy option, use cashew cream (see recipe on site).
Note: You can always add whatever veggies you have in your fridge like a couple carrots or different color peppers.