Fancy comfort food coming in hot! This rich roasted vegan tomato soup is the perfect lazy day lunch or dinner, paired with a classic grilled cheese! Healthy and satisfying and even sophisticated enough for a dinner party!
– 4 Tins of whole peeled tomatoes
– 2 Tbsp aged balsamic vinegar( or balsamic reduction)
– 2 Tbsp good quality olive oil
– 1 tbsp sugar (maple syrup or agave)
– 1 tsp pink himalayan salt
– 2 red onions
– 2 garlic cloves
– 2 tsp tomato paste
– 2 Tbsp soy sauce
– Crush red pepper flakes to your liking
– 1.5 Liters of organic vegetable or chicken broth
– Fresh basil for garnish
1. Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Place the tinned tomatoes and all their juices in a roasting pan with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, agave (or sugar) and salt. Stir ingredients and place in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes until the tomatoes are caramelized.
3. In a pot sauté onions in olive oil until fragrant. Then add the garlic and fry for another minute.
4. Add to the pot: the roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, soya, and agave. Stir together and pour in the stock.
5. Lower the heat, cover the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Optional: Add cream if you like (regular cream, coconut cream or cashew cream)
7. Blend soup
8. It is very important to taste the soup and adjust the spices to your liking. You can add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
9. You can top it with fresh basil and a dollop of cream.
Serve with oven toasted baguette slices! Another great option is to make croutons out of day old bread and place on top of soup!